An estimated 5,047 students are graduating from Iowa State this semester, and many of them will participate in Commencement this weekend. So, in honor of this year’s ceremonies, this #TBT post will be about Iowa State University’s first Commencement in 1872.
Below is the 1872 Commencement program (RS 7/9/4/1).
- The first Commencement took place in November!
- 26 students graduated in the first class.
- 2 of the graduates were women.
- Commencement took place at West House in Ames, which was Ames’ first hotel.
- President Welch’s first commencement address is available online thanks to the University Library Digital Initiatives.
Below are some proofs from our University Photographs (box 1547). I believe the final product is the image included at the end of this post. It may seem weird that I’m including proofs. But I’m an archivist and, to me, the unpublished stuff is the good stuff.
This collection of photographs (below) of 1872 Iowa State Graduates was given to the Alumni Association in June 1957 by the only living 1872 alumni, J.C. Arthur and Henry L. Page, when they returned to campus for the 65th anniversary of their graduation.