American Archives Month began in 2006 and is an opportunity for archivists to promote their collections and the profession.
This month you have many opportunities to engage with your Special Collections & University Archives staff and collections!
- #AskAnArchivistDay! Tomorrow, October 4th, archivists around the country will take to Twitter to respond to questions tweeted with the hashtag #AskAnArchivist. Tweet your questions to @ISU_Archives and include #AskAnArchivist.
- The Bomb Transcribe-a-thon on October 25, 12-4 PM, 134 Parks Library. Hosted by Digital Initiatives, and featuring Brad Kuennen, University Archivist, who will talk about the history of the The Bomb.
- Homecoming Pop-up Exhibition on October 27, 1-4 PM, 405 Parks Library. Check out our unique items on Iowa State history & student life in the 1960s.
- Halloween Exhibition & Trivia on October 31, 11 AM – 2 PM, 405 Parks Library. Check out what chilling & thrilling items we’ll have on display, answer some trivia questions, and win some prizes.
Other ways you can celebrate Archives Month with us:
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Stop by and visit us on the 4th floor of the Parks Library (403 Parks) and check out our current exhibition “This movement for a more beautiful Iowa”: The Early Years of Iowa’s State Park System.
- Check out your local historical repository, in person or on-line! Some suggestions below:
If you’re working in an archives or cultural heritage institution and would like ideas on how to celebrate visit: https://www2.archivists.org/initiatives/american-archives-month-the-power-of-collaboration.