Try to make it out to a local museum this week. If you can’t manage a visit, you can celebrate with them on Facebook!
- University Museums, Iowa State University
- Textiles and Clothing Museum, Iowa State University
- Ames Historical Society
- State Historical Museum of Iowa
Iowa museum factoids:
- Iowa’s approximately 400 museums range from arboretums to zoos. While museums are different in many ways, they are all educational collecting organizations, providing careful stewardship for future generations.
- Iowa museums offer over 60,000 public programs every year, many of them free.
- By providing learning in an “active” environment, museums offer all ages unique ways to learn, fostering lifelong interests. Active learning environments such as those offered by museums allow for choice and encourage problem solving, critical thinking skills, and creativity.
- The American Alliance of Museums reports that the nonprofit arts and cultural industry annually generates over $135 billion in economic activity, supporting more than 4.1 million full-time jobs and returning over $22 billion in local, state, and federal tax revenue.