We are very pleased to announce that Iowa State University received a 2016 Digitizing Hidden Special Collections and Archives Award from the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR). This grant will fund a two-year project to establish a web portal for digital Iowa ornithological primary sources dating from 1895 to 2012. The Avian Archives of Iowa Online (avIAn) will include material from eight collections from Special Collections and University Archives. These collections document over one hundred years of bird study in Iowa and encompass some of the Midwest’s most influential conservationists.
The selected collections include:
- Big Bluestem Audubon Society (MS 592)
- Woodward Hart Brown Papers (MS 502)
- Philip A. Dumont Papers (MS 153)
- Fairfield (Iowa) Bird Club Records (MS 386)
- Iowa Ornithological Association Records (MS 581)
- Iowa Ornithologists’ Union (MS 166)
- Frederic Leopold Papers (MS 113)
- Walter M. Rosene, Sr. Papers (MS 589)
Once completed, avIAn will present the items as both archival materials and as scientific data, expanding its potential user base.
For more information, see the Library’s news release.